Friday, January 15, 2010

Is it bad to play my bass guitar with my index fingernail?

I find it easier to use my fingernail as a pick, its not gross and long or anything but it tends to get really thin from doing it so much, is this bad for my fingernail, and my bass?Is it bad to play my bass guitar with my index fingernail?
After a time of doing this it may ruin your nail, the strings on the bass are very thick. I play classical guitar so I use my nails all the time, but I doubt you could keep this up with the bass strings, it' won't make your nail thinner it will most likely cause it to split, and then you'll always have a pick in your nail, it won't do a thing to your bass or the strings. Did you ever think of using clear nail polish, about three coats, maybe that will add to the strength of your nail, it won't hurt to try and see if it makes your nail hold up better, (use Sally Hanson hard as nails clear). Oh I just though of something google this, nails for classical guitarist, they sell them I've seen them, you can cut them short, they don't have to be long, and guess who wares them, you know that guy who sells guitars on TV, Estaban, check him out the next time you see him on TV he wares these nails !!!!!!!Is it bad to play my bass guitar with my index fingernail?
i also use said technique


after a while of trying and failing to deal with a pick i know just use my finger nail, with my hand positioned as though i had a pick, i dont do it often, maily just on those straight 8th note punk songs, and i often use my fingers, but besides the damage its apparently doing to your nail, i think it should work fine, your bass will be fine however


if i were you i would continue on with your technique, your nail will get stronger if you employ your technique often


good luck
Whatever works...it's unusual though. James Jamerson, one of the most influential bassists, used his index finger only. I'm one who uses his index and middle fingers.
  • chap balm
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment