Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What are the chances of my fingernail falling off?

My pinky finger got stuck in the chair...don't ask. And I couldn't free it. Thank goodness Husband was there to help. Now, it's purple and numb. Does poking a hole in the nail really help? And if it's going to fall off, should I help it along? Don't tell me to go to the Doctor, no one goes to the Doctor for such silliness.What are the chances of my fingernail falling off?
I wouldn't suggest poking a hole in it. You'll change a crushing injury into a puncture wound and significantly increase the chance of infection.





I've lost nails by having them partially ripped off and then they ';die'; and get pushed off by the new nail that grows in to replace them.





I've crushed quite a few nails and they haven't fallen off as a result.





Keep some ice on it to control the swelling and it should survive.





If it gets loose, it is being replaced by a new nail. Keep the old nail on with a band-aid to protect the skin while the new nail is growing in - you'll know when it's time to take off the old nail because it will be really loose and easy to take off without much pain.What are the chances of my fingernail falling off?
okay, first get a sewing needle and poke it through your nail. i know this will hurt, but trust me, afterwards it will feel so much better. then you should be fine
You could continue to build fluid under your nail and it may cause too much pain you may have to go in and have it fixed. Wait a couple of days. What probably will happen is that a new nail will grow under the damage nail and eventually the old one will fall off. Better to keep the old nail on as long as you can. I have lost my big toe nail a few times from playing sports and had my big toe stomped on and it turned purple as did your finger. May take about three months to regrow. Your finger nails grow 3 times faster than your toe nails.





Use peroxide to clean and watch for infection. Time to get a good nail polish to cover the purple nail.





One aswer was to use a needle. Please boil the needle first to sterilize. Not a suggested method to use a needle.
Well, I'd go and put it under some hot water. Then probably when you dry it off, hold it for a minute or two. If it doesn't work then I would try kind of rapping it up with a First Aid Kit bandage for a bit. Those are the only ways I can think of helping. Hope It Works ^.^
I slammed my finger in a metal gate before ~ I used a band aid, delt with the pain and numbness ~ it turned a beautiful black and blue ~ and then it fell off on its own. Let it ride.
I would ice your finger, then take some pain killers. It may or may not fall off. Do not try to pry it off. Let it fall off on its own. If it turns black or is really painful, place a bandage on it as a cushion. Do NOT poke a hole in the nail. That will just give bacteria a chance to infect it.
Please do not poke a hole in your fingernail. It will let in infection.


Please do not cover it with nail polish, if it splits, the polish may cause an infection.


Please do not clip the nail, it may cause an infection.


If you do not want a doctor to exam it, then soak it in cool ice water, to decrease swelling and then apply a light coat of antibiotic cream and a band aid.


The nail may heal itself or it may fall off.





IF numbness spreads upward or blue/purple color spreads upward. Please consider going to a doctor. You could have damage to the finger that you cannot see.





Good luck.
  • chap balm
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment