Sunday, January 17, 2010

Any ideas for quitting the fingernail biting habit?

I am eighteen years old, and for as long as I can remember, I have always bitten my nails. This is a habit that is shared by many in my family, however most of the females I am related to stopped when they were about fourteen (my grandmother, my mother, my sister.).





My habit has continued despite that, and sometimes I bite without even realizing that I'm doing it. I've drawn blood before, or sometimes just bitten them down so much that they hurt. I haven't had any luck in my efforts to quit, though I would like to.





Does anybody have any suggestions that might help me stop biting them? Thanks!Any ideas for quitting the fingernail biting habit?
Flick yourself with a rubberband around your wrist when you catch yourself. then visualize yourself doing something pleasant instead of chewing your nails





Pay for an expensive manicure





Get some Bitter Apple from the pet store. It's to keep puppies from chewing on things. Completely non-toxic but boy does it taste nasty (smells bad too, you should be able to smell it before your fingers make it to your mouth)





Give yourself a little treat when you can go a day/week without chewing (go to a movie, take an afternoon bike ride, get some new nail polish, anything you would find pleasant)





Hope this helpsAny ideas for quitting the fingernail biting habit?
My boyfriend cured his finger-biting habit with those brush-on nasty tasting polishes, such as ';No Bite';. They really taste awful!





Other people I know have had success with the rubber band around the wrist technique, in which when you go to bite your nail you snap the rubberband instead (and tell friends and family members to snap it for you if they notice you biting).





Good luck!
apply a coat of Tabasco sauce on your nails with a brush or rub a fresh jalapeno pepper on your nails. Warning, do not rub your eyes!! Carry toothpicks or gum the habit is biting. Also check the make-up section at the drug store they may have a topical ointment that tastes awful when you bite your nails.
for a 2 week period wear bycl\icle gloves everywhere you go. after 2 weeks maybe your brain has realized to stop doing this.
You can try stopping biting on one nail at a time that way you can do one at a time and it doesnt seem like a big task to achieve?





On the other hand there are aids you can buy in the chemist to help you. It comes in a pot and is usually situated where the Manicure and nail care things are. You dip your nails into it and when you then try to bite them afterwards the taste is horrible so you stop. Its an old psychological classical conditioning to put you off biting them, so then it becomes a habit not to bite.





Try it :)
i have struggled with that problem for a very long time.I paint my nails and that stops me from biting them ,or i take my nail clippers and cut them down so there isn't anything to bite.Or dip them in vinegar so they taste nasty,or band aid all of your fingers.Its a pretty hard habit to get rid of,I'm still trying to quit .And don't give up,it takes time! oh and one more thing that helps is giving yourself 5 nails to bite on you hand then gradualy count down the number of ones your biting till it gets to zero:)
It doesn't matter your age I mean my dad is 40 and he still bits his nails try dipping your fingers in hot peppers that way you will get spiced out and won't bit them
  • chap balm
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment