Sunday, January 17, 2010

How do you remove Silver Nitrate from a fingernail?

I was working with AgNO3 in Chem class and I accidentally spilled some on my fingernail. So now my nail is stained. My teacher said if we spilled it on our skin we'd have to wait for the skin to die and flake off before it would disappear. Do I have to wait for my nail to grow out, or can I use acetone nail polish remover on it? Or something else?How do you remove Silver Nitrate from a fingernail?
you have to wait for new nail for it to come out, what you can try is buffing it out, AgNO3 usually doesn't stain deep into the nail so if you can remove to top layer of the nail it may take the stain with it.How do you remove Silver Nitrate from a fingernail?
I worked with silver nitrate years ago for chloride titrations. I learned very soon not to get any on the skin, just for the sake that it hangs around and doesn't wash out. You must wait for the skin to flake off, or in the case of nails, wait for the nail to grow out then trim it down. The reason that it is a persistent stain is that as the silver nitrate touches your skin/nails, silver chloride is formed (chlorides are everywhere) and gets deposited. Now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment