Friday, May 14, 2010

What do you do when your fingernail comes all the way off ?

No joke answers. Really upset. Hit my thumbnail a few times at work. I had salon nails on. Then it was lifted off the skin for two weeks. Now finally it came off and a nail is starting to grow1/3 the way up. Will it grow straight. How do I fight getting an infection ? Cover it or not ? HELP !!What do you do when your fingernail comes all the way off ?
ouch. Just put sterile gause on it and wait. That simple, but the pain isnt. =(What do you do when your fingernail comes all the way off ?
It's better being completely off than half off. Just relax, everything will be fine. The nail will grow straight with no help from you. If it's sensitive, keep it covered (loosely), but you don't need to cover it just to keep it clean. If it's tender or red or painful, it might be infected or ingrown and it might be a good idea to see a doctor. Otherwise, all will be well. Don't worry about it.





I had an ingrown toenail when I was in high school. It got really badly infected, to the point where I could hardly walk. I went to the doctor and after deadening the toe with novocaine he surprised (and shocked!) me by pulling the toenail off with a pliers! When the nail grew back, it was funny-looking, yellowish and thick and misshapen. The doctor told me it was because the root of the nail had been infected, so it was like scar tissue.





Years later, in college I lost that toenail again in a motorcycle accident. It hit the inside of my boot, turned black, and fell off. The new nail was already growing beneath it, just as in your case. The new nail grew clear and straight and smooth! It's been like that since!
Keep it clean, put an antiseptic cream on it (read instructions as to how much). It will grow back fine, just do not mess with it. I lost my thumb nail too, but when I was about 12. It is ok now. Do not cover it because then it will sweat and that isn't good, needs to dry out.
You let it come off because


what else can you do





i am in boat and it's pretty gross


but all you do is wait for it to heal.





good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment