Monday, May 10, 2010

Is it ';normal'; to have hairline cracks (that I can feel with my fingernail) in my kitchen granite countertop?

We recently had new granite countertop installed in our kitchen (granite type: antique brown), and after installation (within one month) multiple hairline cracks have started to appear on one of the slabs (a 2.3 metre piece).





These cracks are very visible, especially in certain light, and when you run your fingernail along you can noticeably feel the crack. These cracks appear to only be on the surface and do not appear to go through the depth of the granite (when looking at the edges).





I have had the granite supplier come to view but they are not concerned with it and tell me these are natural parts of the granite. However my concern is that the cracks only started to appear after it was installed, and what really bothers me is that they look like cracks and you can feel them with your fingers.





Is this normal for granite, and if not, what should I do (get them to repair it - if possible - or replace it?Is it ';normal'; to have hairline cracks (that I can feel with my fingernail) in my kitchen granite countertop?
according to granitebydesign.ca:





Q: Does granite have any pits or fissures?





A: Yes granite has natural pits and fissures that are part of the stones natural structure. Some types of granite have more of such characteristics than other types, and pits can be minimized by applying sealer to the surface of the counter.





Q: Can granite crack?





No, not with the ordinary use. Granite is most susceptible to cracks during shipping and installation. Normal use will not overstress this durable material.





Q: Can granite be repaired?





A: It is very hard to damage granite. If any damage occurs it can be sealed with a mixture of epoxy and ground up chips of granite.








either these cracks are supposed to be there or the folks aren't concerned because they screwed up and don't want to fix it.Is it ';normal'; to have hairline cracks (that I can feel with my fingernail) in my kitchen granite countertop?
As a home builder, if I was experiencing what you are experiencing with your new counter tops, I would insist that they rectify the problem. What you have described does not sound normal to me. It sounds as though they are trying to dodge repairing a bad installation.
I would be very concerned if those hairline cracks were right on the edge of the granite. My sister had granite tops installed by Lowes about 3 years ago and they seemed to have a 3 edge cracks that one could feel with a finger nail. Those eventually did expand and run across the counter top.





Lowes did come and remove the tops and refunded her money. She thought those granite tops were the worst thing that had been reinvented ever. She went back to formica tops which are smooth and easy to clean. No more silicone oil for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment